Saturday, November 7, 2009

I want to work with children overseas, and develop solutions/ aid those in need. What should I major/minor in


I want to work with children overseas, and develop solutions/ aid those in need. What should I major/minor in?
I am currently in a community college, working on an associates in psychology. After a trip to Peru where I was able to work with children of a poverty stricken village, I realized my calling involved children and helping others. However, I am now unable to find what I should major in when I transfer schools. Do I go with philanthropy?
Teaching - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Medical and Education.
2 :
I am a teacher in international schools. While I tend to teach diplomat's children and fairly wealthy children, you will find that "third culture kids" (ie: kids who grow up living all over the world) are good little global citizens who love to help out the local cultures through things like Habitat for Humanity, volunteering in local orphanages, etc. There are many ways to get involved with the local communities while teaching internationally. So that is one way to go about it. Another poster mentioned medical, and that is also a viable option, although you will have massive medical school debt at the end and probably won't be able to live abroad as you have to work to pay off debt. But you could volunteer your vacation time. And of course the Peace Corps is also an option--they look for a variety of degrees including engineering, urban planning, etc. And NGO's (Oxfam, etc) also send people to help out in other countries. http://www.ngo.org/links/index.htm Lots of ways to get there...if you want it badly enough you can make it happen...I did.