Sunday, March 1, 2009

I'm going to do Volunteer work in Peru for 2 months, how much Spanish should I know


I'm going to do Volunteer work in Peru for 2 months, how much Spanish should I know?
Hey all, I will be in Peru from March to the end of April. I only know very basic spanish(i.e. what is your name, how old are you etc...). What other useful topics should I study? I basically need to know how to get around and some useful key phrases.
Peru - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Hello, I read your question and I'd like to help you. I study tourism, hotelery and gastronomy. Is important to me help you. I guide you to Lima City, to know all the city, the touristics atracctions, etc. I won't ask you for money, only I want you to enjoy Peru ;) Well, I can teach some prahses in Spanish, they're easy. Search me on Facebook like Alex Raúl Guerrero Bustamante or Alex Raul Guerrero Bustamante, I have a pic of a soldier doll, I have more pictures of me and my friends there. and this is my mail warriox_mig @ hotmail. com (all together) Bye Bye, and Peru is waiting for ya ;)
2 :
You need to know a bit more. I suggest a site where I have learned a few things called http://www.livemocha.com/ Buy a good English/Spanish dictionary too.
3 :
you should speak spanish at least to a conversational level. most peruvians speak spanish, and not alot speak english. even if you can speak english or other foreign langueges with some people, it would be better to learn spanish yourself, rather than expect everyone to speak your language. i suggest listening to spanish music, or watching t.v. in spanish to learn some more, it is not very hard because Spanish is very similar to English.
4 :
You will have to know more then basic spanish.
5 :
The more you know, the better. Peruvians are very friendly and will try to help you out, but it would make life a lot easier if you at least had a decent vocabulary, even if you couldn't string the words together to make a coherent sentence. Before I went to Peru I beefed up my vocabulary using this program: http://www.byki.com/fls/free-spanish-software-download.html?l=spanish. It's a for-sale program, but they do free trials which include a lot of vocabulary words, and that may be sufficient for your purposes. Spanish isn't at all hard to learn, and if you go there having a decent grasp on a lot of words, you'll understand more and more every day and before you know it you'll be using phrases and sentences. Basically the more of a base you give yourself before you go, the easier life will be once you get there.