Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I bought a lamp from Peru, will it work in the US


I bought a lamp from Peru, will it work in the US?
I bought a cute little lamp in the shape of an owl, and brought it back to the States. That being said, will it work in the US? I don't want to plug it in and ruin it, so I figured I would ask first. It says its 250 Volts.
Peru - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yes. Just because its a lamp from another country doesnt mean it wont work. A lot of things are from other countries and they work.
2 :
No, because the US has a 110-125 voltage, plus the sockets are likely different. This does not mean that you will not be able to use it, but it needs to be converted and anyone with basic electrical knowledge should be able to do this for little money from parts available at Home Depot. So maybe a friend or relative can help you without you having to take it to a shop.
3 :
It depends on the lamp. Peru uses 220 voltage, the U.S. 110. Some electronics will work with either 220 or 110. Yours says 250 (220), I suggest you buy a converter while there in Peru. They are little blue square shaped things. You can buy them right on the street at the mercado. Should only cost 6-10 soles. If you plug it in without a coverter in the U.S., it will burn up. I tried it. LOL
4 :
yeah it will work, i bought my laptop on peru, and I live in USA. It works perfectly fine