Monday, October 1, 2012

Should I quit my job and study abroad, or play the safe route


Should I quit my job and study abroad, or play the safe route?
I work full time as a nurse, and I like my shift. I want to study abroad in Peru for 4-6 weeks, studying Spanish and volunteering. I cannot take more than 2 weeks off and would probably have to quit my job. I get married next year, and this is probably my last opportunity. I am worried though, that I will hate whatever job I have when I return, considering the market, even in health care- hospitals are not hiring.
Studying Abroad - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I guess it really depends on whether or not you'll regret it later if you do not take the opportunity to study abroad. You could try discussing this with your employer to see if they'll give you a leave of absence or something so that you could return to your job when you get back. Strengthening your Spanish skills is certainly a positive thing, and they might go for it if you sell this as a skill-building venture.
2 :
Nurses are in demand right now ... talk to your HR person about a 60 day leave without pay. You might be able to include some vacation pay into the equation as well .. like 2 weeks vacation and 45 days of leave. Remember to ask for slightly more time than you need to account for preparation and post-trip issues. Have fun.