Saturday, January 14, 2012

Please help me!! What dangers in Peru will I face


Please help me!! What dangers in Peru will I face?
I'm going to Peru this summer, if everything works out right. I am a minor, and I've never flown a plane before. I will be comming down from California. I know the very basics of Spanish, I've done 2 years and I'm redoing the first now because my new school only has spanish 1 and I figured that taking the course over again was better than taking no spanish at all. I will be with my girlfriend's family, I've never met them before but I've heard very much about them, as they have of me. She will not be able to be there with me. What are the dangers in Peru that I will be facing? Are there any particular laws that I have to be aware of? Please please help me... Btw, I will be in Lima
Peru - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
ive been, so i know some of the things to worry about...there are some parasites specific to that area that you might catch (although highly unlikely), and sicknesses also. the culture is not completely the opposite so i wouldnt worry about laws that you would break, unless you are planning to drive. basically just use your common sense and have fun :)
2 :
First-Be aware of taxis in the airport who will often charge way too much to take you to your destination. Second-the cheaper taxis are out on Elmer Faucett street in front of the airport terminal, but these sometimes will assault and rob you if you do not sem familiar with Lima, You must negotiate the fare to be paid before you get into the taxi. You never ask them how much as they will rip you off big time, Find out from someone in the airport how much the fare should be and then act like you know what you are doing when you get into the taxi. Beyond that there are lots of pick-pockets in Lima, so be careful with your money. Do not trust people who are too friendly with you, as they may be about to assault you. Many sections of Lima are safe during the day, but at Night they are very dangerous especially for Gringos. Be very careful on buses, and do not wear expensive watches etc, as they will attract the wrong kind of attention from thieves. Do not try to change money in the streets as often you will be given fake currency. Always have a document as the police can ask you for them at any time. In general be careful and have a good time. GOd bless.
3 :
Lima is generally OK, but stay away from the bad neighborhoods and the slum areas. I'm sure your girlfriend's family will tell you where not to go and what not to do. Areas such as Miraflores are fine รข€“ just don't wander around too much late at night. For some guidelines and tips for staying safe in Peru have a look at the article below.